We pride ourselves on taking a holistic, yet non-intrusive, approach to the welfare of our guests. Consequently, our high staff-to-patient ratio ensures the highest standards of nursing, whilst respecting your privacy and personal space at all times.
Immediately following surgery, you may find it difficult to assess just how much nursing support you will need in the ensuing days.
At The Clavadel, our experienced team of nurses and care assistants are on duty day and night to ensure you receive the appropriate level of post-operative care to meet your needs, supported by twice-weekly visits by a GP.
On arrival, a comprehensive nursing assessment is undertaken from which a detailed care plan can be established, and at which time all medication is thoroughly checked and secured in your room for easy access.
Our nursing staff can take responsibility for:
- Management of all of your medication, including effective pain relief, in addition to ensuring you have sufficient medication for your return home; nursing staff can also support you in managing your medication independently, should you wish.
- Wound management, staple or stitch removal, and replacement of dressings; nursing staff will also monitor your skin’s integrity throughout your care.
- Daily observations, including any necessary blood and urine sample analysis.
- Direct liaison with your consultant surgeon where there are concerns regarding your progress.
- Advance planning surrounding your check-out so you may return home safely and confidently, including district nursing referrals should the need for ongoing care be indicated.
- Our sensitive and skilled nursing care team will help you with any aspects of personal care you may require. Each day a nurse or a carer will be assigned to look after you and assist in getting you to your physiotherapy and hydrotherapy appointments unhurried.
Our nurses and carers can also offer assistance with:
- showering, washing and getting dressed.
- the application of compression stockings, where needed.
- making your bed, tidying your room, and ensuring your clothes are laundered.
- the supply of ice packs or ice treatment, if required.
- the provision of refreshments for you and your guests at all times.
- the scheduling of chiropody, manicure or hair appointments.
Your well-being is of paramount importance to us at The Clavadel. In addition to the provision of nursing services, we can also arrange weekly chiropody, manicure and hairdressing treatments, all of which are included in your accommodation charge. And should you wish to book any additional beauty treatments, these can also be arranged.
Matron – Tracey
With over 30 years of clinical experience to her credit, we are delighted to have our matron, Tracey, as a key member of the Clavadel team.
Following post-graduate training in Intensive Care Nursing at Kingston Hospital in Surrey, she held a number of posts as Sister in both the NHS and the independent sector, before embarking on the joys and challenges of motherhood.
It was during this time, spent raising a family, that Tracey ran a successful nursing agency while simultaneously undertaking university study to gain further qualifications in counselling and psychotherapy – a decision that has proved invaluable.
In 2016, Tracey returned to the NHS as Matron to take the nursing lead in an outpatients and fracture clinic whilst overseeing orthopaedic wards, and rheumatology, chronic pain and imaging nursing teams.
With such a wealth of expertise at her disposal, we are privileged to have her working with us, so you may relax − safe in the knowledge that you will receive the very best of care for the duration of your stay.
What an incredible place this is – the care is beyond exceptional. You have built up a team of gentle, kind and caring but very professional people.
Thank you so much for my lovely stay in the bubble that is The Clavadel. It is a truly exceptional place to stay…all the nursing staff, physios, carers are the best – effortlessly guiding the whole operation so it ticks over like a lightly oiled machine. I could have stayed another two weeks – I think then I would truly never have wanted to leave.
It was like having a First Class holiday! A lovely place, delicious food and outstanding nursing care.